Mr. Toby Chu is the founder, President and Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Global Education Communities Corp. (“GEC Corp.”), headquartered in Vancouver, Canada. Mr. Chu founded GEC Corp. in 1994 and has since developed the company into an international corporation with 45 business locations in Canada and abroad.
In 1994, Mr. Chu implemented GEC Corp.’s expansion plan by establishing the CIBT School of Business & Technology Corp. GEC Corp. operates a chain of campuses, teaching centres, joint program locations and recruitment offices globally, offering business management, e-commerce, technology, health care, vocational trade, and travel tourism programs.
To realize his vision of global education, Mr. Chu acquired Sprott Shaw College in 2007, one of the largest private career colleges in Canada established in 1903. Sprott Shaw operates 16 campuses in British Columbia. Sprott Shaw became the core infrastructure, academic resource and content provider for GEC Corp.’s future expansions. By 2020, Sprott Shaw College transformed from a predominantly domestic college into a diversified student-mix.
In 2010, Mr. Chu structured the acquisition of King George International College (“KGIC”) for 4.3 million dollars. KGIC is one of the largest English language training schools in Canada. KGIC became the Group’s rudimentary English training provider, global recruitment channel and international pipeline for GEC Corp.’s network of career and degree-granting colleges. After three years of reorganization, Mr. Chu sold KGIC for 13.5 million dollars. In 2017, Mr. Chu re-acquired all the assets of KGIC for the second time in 5 years for 3.1 million dollars and transformed its brand to Sprott Shaw Language College. By 2021, GEC Corp.’s education platform services over 10,000 students per year from 50 countries.
In 2014, Mr. Chu initiated the student-housing division of the company called Global Education City (“GEC”) by acquiring a hotel, several serviced apartments and development properties to construct North America’s first Education Super Center and Education Mega Center. Utilizing the pipeline of domestic and international students owned by GEC Corp.’s education platform and a network of seventy-two school partners in Metro Vancouver, GEC’s student housing business grew exponentially in a few short years. Total real estate portfolio, including development budget, grew to $1.5 billion with 10 projects, 15 properties in Metro Vancouver. In 2021, GEC expanded to corporate-housing catering to corporate clients from the technology and health-care sectors.
Mr. Chu is the recipient of numerous prestigious awards. In 1993, Mr. Chu was named the “Top 40 Business People under the Age of 40.” In 1994, Mr. Chu became the top 30 finalists among 300 nominees across Canada for the Entrepreneur of the Year Award. In 2015, Mr. Chu earned the Entrepreneur of the Year Award by the Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs. Under Mr. Chu’s management, GEC Corp. earned the following recognition during the past twenty-seven years:
- Top 400 Fastest-Growing Companies in Canada in 2020, by Globe and Mail’s Report on Business Magazine
- Top 500 America’s Fastest-Growing Companies 2020, ranked by the Financial Times, London
- Top 100 Fastest-Growing Companies in Canada in 1993, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, ranked by the Profit Magazine
- Top 100 Fastest-Growing Companies in BC from 2015 to 2020, by Business in Vancouver newspaper
- Top 100 Public Companies in British Columbia from 2008 to 2020, by Business in Vancouver newspaper
- Succeeding Profiles of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs by the Asia Pacific Foundation
- Top 2 Best International Prep College in China by sohu.com in 2009
- Top 5 Sino-Foreign Colleges in China by edu.qq.com in 2009
- Top 10 Most Influential Sino-Foreign MBA Programs in China by China’s Executive Weekly Magazine in 2004 and 2007
- Top 5 TSX-Venture Listed Companies by the TSX-Venture Exchange in 2008
- Top 500 Largest Publicly Traded Companies across Canada by Report on Business magazine
- Ranked in 8th position on the OCTQX 2018 Best 50 Top Performing companies